On Fri 20 Nov 2015 at 12:10:38 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:

> So the operations are simply setting up an environment for doing the
> rescue, not overwriting the existing system?  I'm happy to change my
> expectation if that's the case.    Maybe by the end of it there is a more
> complete system, e.g., with bash.

Language, keyboard, network and hardware discovery take place; the same
things which happen when actually installing. Tools to work in the
installer environment (if you choose to) are also loaded into memory.
The shell is /bin/sh whether you are in /dev/sd* or not. There is no TAB
completion, which makes things a bit tedious.

Everyone should (as "It's not a bad idea to ....) trial rescue mode in
the event is becomes necessary to use it in earnest. :)

> In the meantime I've downloaded the first CD of the Debian live CD's.

I've never really explored a graphical approach to rescue. Maybe it's
time to.