On 2016-09-16 at 10:56, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> On 09/16/2016 10:29 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2016-09-16 at 10:10, Tony Baldwin wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having another headache...
>>>
>>> I want to make Icedove the default mail client.
>>> I had this done on the last Jessie system I had (on a now defunct hdd).
>>> But I can't recall how I did it, if it was with update-alternative or
>>> some other means..
>>> And something that's been bothering me for a while is:
>>> I can't seem to find or figure out how to list all the alternatives I
>>> can manage with update-alternatives.
>>> I mean, I can get a list for a particular item, like x-www-browser or
>>> editor, but I want a list of all those possible things to update
>>> (x-www-browser, editor, etc.)
>>> Is there such a list somewhere?
>>
>> From the man page,
>>
>> update-alternatives --get-selections
>>
>> looks like it should do what you want, at least as far as alternative
>> groups currently present on the system. (Naturally, because any package
>> can add a new link group - or the administrator can do it manually, if
>> desired - nothing can provide a list of every possible link group which
>> could exist.)
>>
>> I don't see any obvious sign of a generic "mail client" link group
>> listed there, though.
>
> My apologies to the Wanderer, who will now be seeing this twice, as I
> mistakenly replied to him off-list... (keep forgetting to use reply-list)

No worries.

> Indeed:
> # update-alternatives --get-selections | grep mail
> mailx                          auto     /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
>
> but also:
> # update-alternatives --config mailx
> There is only one alternative in link group mailx (providing
> /usr/bin/mailx): /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
> Nothing to configure.
>

> it seems it won't let me set a mail client
>
> I should probably mention that I'm using chromium as my browser; getting
> firefox or iceweasel to use icedove is like falling off a log it's so easy.
> I had it working on the Jessie on an hdd that just died on me
> (thankfully not until I'd downloaded and made an install disk to install
> on the other hdd, which I'm using now.)
> But in my old age, I can't remember for the life of me how I did it.
> I don't believe it was with update-alternatives.
> I think I edited some config file somewhere, but for the life of me, I
> can't recall where.

Apparently the "correct" way to do this (as opposed to the easiest,
which may be the one I linked you to in private mail but which will
probably break if the relevant package is ever updated) involves
fiddling around with xdg-email or xdg-open or the related suite of commands.

Setting the default programs which those commands will use is apparently
done via 'xdg-mime default', but I don't know what MIME type to tell it
to configure in order to affect handling of mailto: URLs, and none of my
digging so far has turned up anything useful. (There are a few search
results which explain a way to do it assuming you're using the full
GNOME graphical interface, including their settings dialogs, but that's
not exactly a good or a portable solution.)

--
   The Wanderer