Hi,

John Hasler wrote:
>> <http://www.fvwm.org/> is what there is.

> That page prompted the question ;<

Google for "fvwm2rc". It is rewarding to add the word "examples".

My experience with installing Debian package fvwm2 two years ago would
have been much worse if i did not have the file ~/.fvwm2rc from my eight
year older workstation. Actually i carry it from system to system since
a SuSE installation in year 2000.

Fvwm is not a desktop like KDE or Gnome but rather a window manager,
which nowadays is only a smaller part of the desktop goals.
It offers no GUI library and thus has no fat applications depending on it.
If you use KDE or Gnome applications then you pull in half of their very
many libraries.

Fvwm is software for people who don't want look-and-feel to change for
the mere reason that another decade went by.
One has to customize it by editing the configuration file, not by
drag-and-drop. It is best used with a zillion xterm windows and a few
inavoidable GUI programs like web browser or PDF reader.

I simply love it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas