On 02/21/2018 07:02 PM, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 03:40:51 PM Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 02/21/2018 10:47 AM, Roberto C. S�nchez wrote:
Note that upgrades skipping a release (e.g., wheezy -> stretch instead
of wheezy -> jessie -> stretch) are not supported. A fresh install
sounds like the better route in this case.

I know what I'm talking about and if I can do it anybody can do it,
Debian has given us all the tools we need to upgrade any stable release
to current stable release or higher for that matter, thank about it.
Just start with a simple upgrade first before tackling the other things,
it's not rocket science after all.

And what if their system has slightly different hardware or some other
difference such that your advice doesn't work?  (AFAICT, the fact that Debian
does not support an upgrade skipping a release means that little or no testing
has been done and there is an indeterminate amount of risk.)

First off you're quoting something you have read and not from any real experience. I can say this, I run 5 laptops and two desktops, one laptop is reaching it's end of life for kde plasma upstream, it's an older real IBM Thinkpad, while all the others are different makes and models, AMD and Intel, none are the same but they are running Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Buster, Sid, 14.04 lts, 16.04 lts, 18.04 lts and I test other systems of interest too and it keeps me busy, these are not virtual installs, they are real hardware installs and I fix my problems, that's how I learn, I've been doing this for more than 20 years, it's called experience, real experience. My main testing desktop has sid on sda15 and its probably broken with every release, been moved to more computers than I care to remember, but I fix it, clean it and keep going, so far this release, knock on wood and thinks to Debian upstream repairs have been minimal. Outside of machine language I'm not a coder, nor do I use machine language any longer.

Will you stand behind the upgrade, and fix his system if there is a problem?
(Site visits are usually not cheap.)
No more or less than anybody else here, I don't know the OP or what his capabilities are and my time is limited, but when I see a post where I can help I will, what else can you ask from a fellow Linux User. Just one other thing, I'm not a joiner and I won't get held back. I'm done discussing this tread, unless the OP has a question for me. Your like a pack of wolf's ready to pounce on anything different than what you have read and some of you have not changed in the 20+ years I've been using Linux, you are bullies and mean to anyone different than you, and I am different than you period.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson - The Linux Tester

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - KDE Plasma 5.12.1 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263