On Fri 23 Feb 2018 at 09:57:12 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 02/23/2018 09:12 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >On 02/23/2018 05:46 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>History
> >>I run MATE, but to paraphrase a restaurant - "I want Debian MyWay" ;)
> >>It was suggested that I wanted what KDE calls "activities".
> >>It looked promising. I installed it. It suffers from featuritis.
> >>fvwm-crystal was also suggested. When installed it was in some
> >>sense "cleaner" but still too busy. Launched fvwm which had been
> >>installed by the fvwm-crystal package.
> >>
> >>The problem
> >>It had "inherited" configuration items from fvwm-crystal. The
> >>web pages I had read spoke of a default 1st run display. I could
> >>not figure out how to get that to appear.
> >>
> >>Having adequate space available I used netinst to do a base
> >>command line only install to a new partition. It was followed by
> >>doing "apt-get install fvwm".
> >>
> >>I rebooted expecting a minimal fvwm display. I got a command line.
> >
> >To clarify I got a console command line (Whole screen is one
> >window with no graphical ornaments !)
> >
> >>I found that though a "/home/richard/.fvwm" directory had been
> >>created, it was empty. I couldn't find copies of what files
> >>should have been there on initial first run. Only
> >>instructions/examples for adding this or that doodad.
> >>

> >It was suggested that
> >>So to get you kick-started,
> >>just create a file named "config" in your /home/richard/.fvwm
> >>consisting of this one line:
> >>
> >>  Read /usr/share/fvwm/default-config/config
> >That did not solve my problem.
> >
> >I copied the file at
> >http://www.einval.com/~steve/debian/fvwm2rc.example to
> >/home/richard/.fvwm2rc  .
> >I then executed `fvwm2 -f "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"'
> >The result was " [fvwm][main] <<ERROR>> can't open display
> >
> >Reasoning by analogy with use of startx I had tried "fvwm" at the
> >command line and received "can't open display".
> >
> >I tried issuing "startx" itself and received "command not found".
> >
> >When I had initially done "apt-get install fvwm", should some
> >portion of the Xsystem been installed?
> >
> >TIA
>
> I just did "apt-get install xorg".
> Now typing "startx" at command line does give me a fvwm screen.
> However typing "fvwm" at command line gives
> >[fvwm][main] <<ERROR>> can't open display
>
> What's still to be installed/configured?
> Would this be a bug against the fvwm package for not installing and
> configuring xorg?

>From https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/02/msg00794.html

As mentioned in another thread just now, I run X with startx.
I've always stuck to the Debian Way™ which means using ~/.xsession
rather than ~/.xinitrc.

Stripped down to the essentials, my ~/.xsession consists of:

    #!/bin/sh
    exec /usr/bin/fvwm >| $HOME/.fvwm-stdout 2>| $HOME/.fvwm-stderr &
    WMPID=$!
    xterm …
    xterm …
    swisswatch -title local -noshape
    xconsole -name console -file /dev/xconsole -exitOnFail
    xclock -strftime "%a %d"
    # and so on
    # wait for the window manager in the background to die
    wait $WMPID

IOW you run it in your ~/.xsession as X starts up, not from
the command line.

Cheers,
David.