On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 02:08:37PM -0400, Doug wrote:

> On 07/22/2018 04:57 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> This may or may not be off topic, but you folks seem to know something about
> CDs, so I'll ask:
> My friend has just gotten a Korean car--it's either a Hundai or a Kia, I
> don't remember, but
> it has no CD player, but it does have a USB connection, which purports to be
> a sound input.
> So the question: I would make some copies of CDs onto a flash drive, if I
> knew how! I would
> prefer to use K3b to copy the CDs; do I have to format the flash drive, and
> if so with what
> system? (I thought that flash drives come formatted with a Windows file
> system?)
> And what other questions should I be asking, which I'm too uninformed to
> ask? And
> what are the answers? BTW: I have never, in 20 years or more, ever gotten
> Audacity to do
> anything for me, so that is out!

Flash drives may or may not come formatted.

The USB sound input could be:

1. An access to a computer that will treat the USB device as
Mass Storage and try to mount a FAT filesystem

2. Access to a peripheral that acts as a USB Audio device, in
which case you need to supply a computer that can play sound
through that. (Linux knows how.)

Hyundai offers several options, documented here:
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/connectivity/index.aspx

Kia offers options as well:
https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/technology/uvo/overview

-dsr-