Hi,

(i reply to Doug's mail but adopt Dan Ritter's new subject text.)

Doug wrote:
> I would make some copies of CDs onto a flash drive, if I knew how!

The act of copying audio data from CD is usually called "ripping".
Program cdda2wav is specialized on that job.

I would use my own program cdrskin (which is mainly for burning data to
CD rather than ripping data from CD). At then of the man page there is an
example:
"Extract audio tracks and CD-TEXT from CD into directory /home/me/my_cd"

  mkdir /home/me/my_cd

  cdrskin -v dev=/dev/sr0 extract_audio_to=/home/me/my_cd \
          cdtext_to_v07t=/home/me/my_cd/cdtext.v07t

This will yield per track NN a file trackNN.wav in directory /home/me/my_cd.
If CD-TEXT is present, then it will be extracted to human readble file
/home/me/my_cd/cdtext.v07t .

> do I have to format the flash drive, and if so with what system?

If the car expects USB sticks, then it probably can handle a (microsoftly)
FAT filesystem.

> I thought that flash drives come formatted with a Windows file system?

They usually do and readers usually are ready to use the filesystem.

More important will be to find out which audio file formats are supported.
.wav is possibly ok, but also quite a wasteful way of storing sound on
a general data storage device.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas