On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 11:27:39 -0500
David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> But one opportunity you ought perhaps to exploit when encoding your
> CDs (and any other audio sources like youtube etc) for the car or
> portable players is to compress the dynamic range.  Car stereos can
> produce good quality when parked up, but at 85mph it's pointless
> trying to play through any quiet passages.

The BBC used a dynamic range of 26dB (from 1 to 7 on a BBC PPM scale)
for FM transmissions of Radio 3 (classical) and Radio 4 (news and
drama) and didn't try for more, as they reckoned that the average
domestic environment couldn't cope with more. Look at the level of Radio
1 (pop) and the PPM needle barely moved. It had a dynamic range of about
5dB, as this was felt to be all that was possible in the average car
environment.

Datum: I bought Roxy Music's Virginia Plain as a 45. On the radio, the
introduction is a little quieter than the main part of the record. I
thought the recording level was very low on my copy, and turned the
volume up quite high the first time I played the introduction. When the
main instruments came in, I nearly had to get my speakers reconed...

I presume nothing has changed...

--
Joe