Richmond wrote:
> I installed debian on an old PC i686. I chose the mate desktop. When I
> tried to log in throught display manager I could not, so:
>
> I closed X down with telinit 3
> I logged in on the console as root
> I ran xinit -- :0
> I switched to a non root user in the xterm window on the display
> I typed export DISPLAY=:0
> I ran mate-session
> X crashed with a segmentation fault
>
> The backtrace is on the console so I cannot cut and paste it. It says it
> is in Xorg at _start+0x31
>
> What can I do? Perhaps use a different xserver. The display driver is
> nouveau.

I wouldn't expect that to segfault, but I also wouldn't expect
it to work -- you did not authorize your non-root user to run in
that X session.

Try this:

As your non-root user, write a .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
xterm &
exec mate-session

and then run

startx

Tell us what happens then. If it crashes, let us see your
/etc/apt/sources.list and anything in sources.list.d/

-dsr-