On Wednesday 14 July 2021 20:32:27 Weaver wrote:

and I snipped to the important part:

> On 15-07-2021 09:32, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> > But FOSS has no impact on the benefits to this solution, moral is
> > not part of it.
>
> Wrong!
> The code is open so any intervention is recognised by a hundred
> thousand and one eyes.
> Bugs get fixed in a fraction of the time other software takes, putting
> it off till six months down the line (minimum!), when a little
> production downtime creates leeway.

Open source does not always impose those scheduling things. I am on
several other open source mailing lists, and in one case I have 4
machines running the projects git master software, so I see code commits
daily and can report bugs long before it gets to the average users
machine, some of which are more than powerfull enough to kill or mame
forever if they do something wrong unexpectedly. I play the part of the
canary in the coal mine, and have reported bugs, and had a fix compiled
and installed on my machines in as little as 2 hours. 3 times in about 2
decades is pretty good compared to Redmond's product. Even the kernel
developers, who comprise at least 100 sets of eyeballs, rarely take more
than 2 or 3 days to hash out a fix. If you build your own kernels that's
fine, but the distro's test 500+ times compared to your one machine, so
it does take time for such to actually reach a repo and your package
manager to pull it into your machine.

Windows track record in that department is at least 100x worse.

MBA's are the major reason Windows exists today, they have deep pockets
that can be sued if it screws up. Linux, generally speaking is free, not
even beer money in some pockets, nothing there if you did sue. But an
MBA never makes a mistake because he/she/it always has to have someone
to sue. Even if it actually is the MBA's mistake.

Understand that, and you'll be well up on seeing whats wrong with today's
business environment.

[...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)