On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 07:36:09AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
The goalposts were moved in the text that was omitted up there.  "Such a
role" refers to the hypothetical generic use of gnome-www-browser to
act as a virtual package (replacing x-www-browser) in all contexts,
not just the dependency list of gnome-core.

The statement was that it would be confusing for, say, debian-goodies
to suggest gnome-www-browser.

Sorry yes, that's right. A concrete example was this lxde bug I filed 5
years ago: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=833268

Perhaps the developers should consider a different virtual package name
which omits the "x-" part and also the "gnome-" part.  Maybe something
like gui-www-browser.  But this isn't my area of expertise, so feel free
to ignore my suggestion if it's unsuitable.

I started mocking something up earlier today and that's exactly the name
I picked too :-)

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻      Jonathan Dowland