Hi,

On 2021-08-04 6:22 a.m., mick crane wrote:
> On 2021-08-04 09:04, Gunnar Gervin wrote:
> <snipped>
>> # apt install task-xfce-desktop
>> then tried to remove the Gnome desktop, wrote:
>> # apt remove task-gnome-desktop
>> Terminal responded but nothing happened; Gnome not removed, Xfce not
>> visible.
>> Tried Synaptic, it said it would not execute actions unless I remove
>> Wayland. How?
>> I can learn to use the Gnome desktop, but I really need to change this
>> keyboard.
>
> I don't know that you can change desktop without reboot, never tried.
He's asking on how to change keyboard.

Yes you can change desktop manager without doing a reboot.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/how-to-change-desktop-environment-xinitrc-and-xsession-164397/

Xinitrc is simply a launcher for a series of script that will launch the
X server and the desktop environment (or window manager behind).

> Probably you will need a desktop manager.
> I usually type
> "apt search the-name-of-the-program" and see if it says "installed" or not.
Great, he now knows how to search if a program is installed.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside