Gunnar Gervin schrieb:

> Subject: HOW ' s

Please use a subject that describes your problem. "HOW's" ist not
better than "(unknown)" or "/&%!"§%&/!"%/&§".

> gone @ $ € (wrong keyboard)

Please try do describe your problem so that it's easy to understand.

Does your keyboard miss keys?
Did you change your keyboard and connect a wrong one?
I don't think so.

> How it happened:
> During Debian installation, I chose a linux version 4.19.0-17-686-pae from
> a mirror.

Your choice of Linux kernel should not have any significance for your
keyboard or locale.

> I lost (nb.UTF-8 or similar) setup (Norwegian bokmål) in
> Macintosh-no-dead-keys.

Please try do describe your problem so that it's easy to understand.
(<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>)

What did you "lose" where?
What did you expect, and what did you get?
What has changed?

Do you miss the nb.UTF-8 locale? Try "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as
root and select that locale.

> I couldn't find a list of available keyboards in Gnome desktop, then
> recalled I found it in Xfce once before (hopefully in Debian)

It does not seem like a good idea to deinstall Gnome just because you
might recall having found "keyboards" sowewhere else.

> so I wrote in
> Terminal:
> su
> root password
> # apt install task-xfce-desktop
> then tried to remove the Gnome desktop, wrote:
> # apt remove task-gnome-desktop
> Terminal responded but nothing happened; Gnome not removed, Xfce not
> visible.

It seems reasonable that you won't see changes without logging out and
in again.

> I can learn to use the Gnome desktop, but I really need to change this
> keyboard.

Than, perhaps, you should start with learning how to change the
"keyboard"?

-thh