Russell L. Harris writes:

Needed:  a USB audio interface which "just works" with Debian 9, 10,
11 on i386 and amd64 desktop machines.   The newest of my machines is
several years years old and has both black and blue USB ports.

I am using an SSL 2 here:
https://www.solidstatelogic.com/products/ssl2

Tested successfully with Debian 10 amd64 and Debian 11 amd64 each with ALSA + PulseAudio non-professional audio. In case you consider buying it, I might be able to do a basic test with a Debian 11 i386, too.

Caveat: I have found the interface to only be recognized properly if I attach it _after_ PulseAudio has already started up. Hence, I have it disconnected by default and upon needing it, first start `pavucontrol` and only afterwards attach the interface.

Btw.: I saw you asked about the Motu M2 earlier
(https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/09/msg00958.html). Was there any progress in getting it to run properly? A cursory internet search suggests that there were problems wrt. old kernels and PulseAudio. Additionally, some tuning to reduce kernel latency might be needed? See https://panther.kapsi.fi/posts/2020-02-02_motu_m4 for a summary.

Back when I searched for audio interfaces, I had also considered the Zoom UAC-2 (https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_UAC-2.pdf). Reviews seemed to indicate acceptable Linux compatibility, but I do not have any first-hand experience with it.

HTH
Linux-Fan
*who uses the SSL 2 for video conferencing*

ΓΆΓΆ

[...]