On 15/10/21 4:16 pm, Semih Ozlem wrote:
How much does it cost to run a server full time, is it cheaper to run one yourself or to rent one online? Do you have an estimate? or range? (cost could be electricity and internet connection used?)

john doe <johndoe65...@mail.com <mailto:johndoe65...@mail.com>>, 15 Eki 2021 Cum, 10:40 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

    On 10/15/2021 8:47 AM, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

    > On 15/10/21 2:33 pm, Semih Ozlem wrote:
    >> Hello everyone
    >>
    >> I am a mathematics PhD student completing my dissertation at
    Yeditepe
    >> University Istanbul working under Prof Ilhan Ikeda who is at
    Bosphorus
    >> University Istanbul. I am involved in setting up some seminars,
    >> keeping correspondence with other mathematicians or mathematics
    students.

    >> I worked for brief periods as a programmer mainly in python on
    small
    >> projects.
    >>
    >> Currently I am working with an electrical technician in Bursa
    Turkey
    >> who is running an electrical electronical services store.
    >>
    >> I am also interested in educational projects.
    >>
    >> I am very much into using linux for academic work, I am willing to
    >> introduce other people to linux and possibly set up a local linux
    >> users group where I live.
    >>
    >> I am thinking of setting up a server, both for local (at home
    use), (I
    >> have already set up say samba server or openssh server) to be used
    >> only under one modem. However due to lack of machines dedicated for
    >> that purpose the server is not continuing.
    >>
    >> I would like to make a server I set up say at home available at the
    >> workplace as well so that I don't have to run back home while
    at work.
    >> If possible make the server accessible via a smart phone or
    some other
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Also in future possibly I would like to set up a web server
    possibly
    >> for the shop and or for mathematical educational and linux related
    >> activities as well as for myself and friends and maybe local
    community.

    >> Already gdrive offers opportunities for storing files etc. and
    wix and
    >> some other sites allow you to build websites and I am sure
    there are
    >> many other options out there coming from the cloud. But I would
    like
    >> to explore, if you guys also thinnk it might be a worthwhile
    endeavor
    >> too and worth the time, to use linux LAMP server or any other
    option
    >> under the linux umbrella that might be worthwhile. I am thinking of
    >> starting small scale since I am operating on a really tight budget
    >> currently. And should I reach better circumstances whether through
    >> finding some potential financial support or better income myself, I
    >> would like to expand on number of things I try.
    >>
    >> I am also in interested in humanitarian causes potentially though I
    >> would not call myself very active or an activist I like reading on
    >> such issues and discussing. One potential possibility is to develop
    >> projects in relation to say immigration crisis to do with syria
    or any
    >> other cause... even to help assist people in say getting help with
    >> reaching or finding out about public services. But at the
    moment all
    >> these are ideas. Nothing definite yet. I am exploring.
    >>
    >> I would like to ask for suggestions like a roadmap that may be
    >> worthwhile to follow.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for any assistance and ideas and
    suggestions and
    >> recommendations.
    >>
    >> Sincerely
    >>
    >> Semih Ozlem
    >
    > If you want to smart small and cheap, you can get quite a decent
    LAMP
    > server using a nanopi M4V2 which has gigabit+ connectivity and
    can fit
    > an NVME drive for excellent speed and storage.
    >
    > http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M4V2
    <http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M4V2>

    > It has better connectivity and storage than the Raspberry Pi 4
    >
    > Because heat is a problem you should get the fancy metal case
    >
    > I run an earlier version of the board under armbian

    To get me started and with no mony for this  I repurpose a desktop
    computer that I had/found as a server.
    The server was simply Debian in headless mode (no DE ...).

    HTH.

    --
    John Doe

I also have an AWS ARM LAMP server that has probably better performance than my MV2. It costs me under USD $10 per month and has really good data speed maybe 5Gbps - my MV2 is limited by my internet connection to 20 Mbps upload. The AWS server only has 2G RAM and 8G disk, but both can be expanded at nominal cost

--
Jeremy