On Fri 02 Dec 2022 at 09:04:35 (+0100), Loïc Grenié wrote:
> On Fri Dec 2 2022 at 04:31, David Wright wrote:
> > On Wed 30 Nov 2022 at 14:25:19 (+0100), Loïc Grenié wrote:
> > >      Happened once again. This time I think the culprit was udev (but I
> > > cannot
> > >   be too sure). Among the updated package nothing should have killed X:
> > >   beyond udev there was a bunch of libreoffice and related (not using
> > right
> > >   now), zathura (not using), not much more, at the very least, nothing
> > that
> > >   looked susceptible to trigger a session crash.
> >
> > AFAICT udev was upgraded from 247.3-7 to 247.3-7+deb11u1 in
> > early September, so which distribution are /you/ running?
> >
> % lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release:        n/a
> Codename:       bookworm
>
> % LANG=C dpkg -l udev
> |
> Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
> +++-==============-============-============-===================================
> ii  udev           252.1-1      amd64        /dev/ and hotplug management
> daemon

That does put a different complexion on your problem. I think that
with sid you are expected to do some troubleshooting of your own.
For example, if you suspect udev, you could run   udevadm monitor …
while upgrades are in progress, to see whether specific triggers
are causing a problem. Etc.

You also have to bear in mind that different users may have held
or upgraded different versions of packages, and not get the same
problems when caused by interaction between them.

Perhaps see:

(updating the codenames by one release).

Cheers,
David.