Hello people,

with the Bookworm soft freeze already under way, the time left for fixing
packages is running low, and there's a specific case where I'd appreciate
advice.

The package is terminator[1], a python based extension (I think) of Gnome
terminal. I don't use it myself, but the current Bookworm version breaks Debian
Policy (it declares compliance with 4.6.1) in its handling of the -e option [2]
when invoked as x-terminal-emulator. It declares Provides: x-terminal-emulator
and sets itself as a Debian alternative for x-terminal-emulator in its
maintainer scripts.

There is an existing bug [3] with the title "Handling of -e violates policy for
x-terminal-emulator" - the issue was fixed upstream some time ago but the bug
remained open. The bug has now returned with the same result of breaking compliance with
Debian Policy.

I was unsure whether to post a new bug report or append to the existing one,
but did the latter [4].

The issue is fixed by an upstream git commit [5] easily applied by a patch
(confirmed), which would make the package fit for release. (Other maintainer
options could be to drop the claim to provide x-terminal-emulator or drop the
package itself.)

My question: I'm in doubt whether the maintainer (Debian Python Team) will notice the issue in time
for the Bookworm release - would posting a new bug report be seen as "nagging"? Should I
just leave it as it is? (I don't personally care all that much about Terminator itself.) Is there
some other action that would be more appropriate? Is there a polite way to push the severity up
from its current "normal"? How important is breaking Debian Policy?

Also: is this the right mailing list to ask such questions?

Best wishes,
John

[1] https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/terminator
[2]