On 4/8/23 07:17, songbird wrote:
   i have a program that has changed it's behavior to suddenly
become a CPU hog (while doing something simple like uploading
files for my website).  probably a bug, but it got me to
wondering how i could limit the CPU temperature to a range
well below the maximum that kicks in by the CPU itself.

   i have an intel processor and it has the MAX which does
prevent it from going higher (100C), but i'd like to keep it
at 70C or lower.

   i've been trying to find anything that will let me set this
but no luck yet in my searches.

   thanks!  :)

   songbird

Assuming the computer had a proper thermal solution when assembled, the 100 C processor temperature indicates that the thermal paste between the processor and its heat sink has gone bad. I suggest replacing it with silver-based thermal paste.

As for adjusting the processor with Debian and Linux, in the past I used:

cpufrequtils

cpufreq-info(1) prints information (Dell Precision 3630 with an Intel Xeon E-2174G processor):

2023-04-08 15:52:47 root@taz ~
# cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a
11.6
Linux taz 5.10.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

2023-04-08 15:53:01 root@taz ~
# cpufreq-info --hwlimits
800000 4700000

2023-04-08 15:53:08 root@taz ~
# cpufreq-info --governors
performance powersave

2023-04-08 15:53:20 root@taz ~
# cpufreq-info --policy
800000 4700000 powersave

cpufreq-set(1) appears to make changes:

2023-04-08 16:15:20 root@taz ~
# cpufreq-set -r --max 2000000

2023-04-08 16:15:54 root@taz ~
# cpufreq-info --policy
800000 2000000 powersave

But, benchmarking before and after shows no effect (?).

STFW:

https://wiki.debian.org/CpuFrequencyScaling

cpufreq is being replaced by cpupower.

Install the cpupower package and try it:

2023-04-08 17:04:29 root@taz ~
# apt-get install linux-cpupower
<snip>

2023-04-08 17:09:31 root@taz ~
# cpupower frequency-info
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: intel_pstate
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 4.70 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: performance powersave
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.00 GHz.
                  The governor "powersave" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
  current CPU frequency: 828 MHz (asserted by call to kernel)
  boost state support:
    Supported: yes
    Active: yes

2023-04-08 17:10:46 root@taz ~
# cpupower frequency-set --max 2000000
Setting cpu: 0
Setting cpu: 1
Setting cpu: 2
Setting cpu: 3
Setting cpu: 4
Setting cpu: 5
Setting cpu: 6
Setting cpu: 7

Benchmark -- now it runs slower and cooler.

David