On 9/4/23 00:56, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I recommend to go fanless whenever possible.
Computers should be silent.

I have a fanless ARM router that even in high summer has no thermal problems (I am in Australia and I have no aircon). It does have a massive case bonded to the CPU

I also have a mini ARM server that does have a fan but the O/S (Armbian) omitted to give it any fan controller so I wrote my own fan control service.

Based on CPU temperature I am able to switch the fan off or on and set various operating speeds.

The great disappointment is that all through this recent summer it only got warm enough once to switch the fan on and then for a few seconds.

The fan turn on temperature was 65C on the CPU. That needed room temperature of 35C.

On a slightly different topic my desktop is a Ryzen 5. It has fanless graphics and large case PSU and CPU fans. I can hear when it starts doing work (usually Chrome is the culprit). It's the PSU electronics that make very high frequency noise that increases with load. The fans only kick in later.

--
Jeremy
(Lists)