On 17/5/23 14:53, Anssi Saari wrote:
It's an odd claim. I typically don't have anything in /usr/local except
what I put there myself. Some Debian packages do create a directory in
/usr/local/share but leave it empty. So what goes in /usr/local is
mostly software I've compiled myself and maybe some little
scripts. Basically stuff I might use both as both root and normal
user. If it's just for my non-privileged user account then it typically
goes in $HOME/bin or the more modern $HOME/.local/bin.

Programs compiled from source rather than as part of a distro package may use /usr/local as a default.

For example kamailio defaults configuration to /usr/local/etc and homebrew defaults packages to /usr/local

--
Jeremy
(Lists)