On 8/28/23 12:20, zithro wrote:
On 28 Aug 2023 09:29, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings;

odd request:

Yeah, almost unreal ^^

Somewhere, for some unk reason, there is a sound file file that plays at max volume, usually around 2 AM or slightly later, that is very similar to the 40 yo doorbell in this house. A bing-bong sound that differs from the real doorbell by maybe 5hz in pitch. Wakes me up, spoiling a good nights sleep, maybe a dozen times a year an apparently random dates.

Have you checked all the cron files and the systemd timers ?

To aid in finding it, what extension might that file be carrying to indicate its a .snd fle, which according to grep on ls -lR's output, does not exist in the thousands of files under hundreds of random names.

What if you didn't use an extension when you created the audio file ?

This file that sounds exactly like my doorbell has existed on my 24/7/365.25 on main system for at least 20 years. I'd like to A. find it, B. find what condition uses it, fix the condition, or even delete it.

Maybe find the script(s) where you use this sound ?
I mean to find HOW you played this sound, ie. with which application.
With ALSA, you could have used "aplay FILE.wav", but you could also have used xmms, audacity, VLC, mpv, etc.

How can I best do that? updatedb, followed by locate door or locate bell reports nothing.

locate bing ; locate bong ; locate gong ? You wrote the sound was like "bing-bong" ^^ In this case, I would recommend to use "find" as root, rather than "locate", just to prevent the fact the file could not be indexed by updatedb for whatever reason, and as root in case you put the script and/or sound in a folder only accessible by root. PS: last I used locate was on Slackware 13.37, so others may point errors in that thinking.

There are now 2 different PIR based devices watching that doorbell button, which trigger on the neighbors cat walking by but remain silent when this sound jacks me up in the middle of the night.

If you have ennemies, they can use a long stick to ring the bell to evade PIR detection ^^

I have no known enemies left, I've outlived them all. And there is a PIR facing out that see's a 34 yo pin oak moving in the wind many times a day.

Any help in finding this will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis