On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 10:53:39PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> And that is the problem, and why I read thru all those man ages trying to
> find a way to make it log what it did. Sadly no.

  Install and configure file auditing on Debian:
    https://www.daemon.be/maarten/auditd.html

  Auditing can help you find anything trying to write to your sound device.
  Look at these manpages:
    auditd.conf (5)
    audit.rules (7)
    audispd (8)
    ausearch (8)
    aureport (8)
    auditctl (8)
    augenrules (8)

  To find your sound cards and/or devices:
    https://wiki.debian.org/Sound
    https://wiki.debian.org/SoundCard
    https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio

  I don't have a Debian system to play with, but in the (good|bad) old
  days, we had a /devices directory with all sorts of weirdness inside.
  If you have one of those, try
    find /devices -print | grep sound

  That might point you to an actual device name.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for anyone but myself.

Comment: One of my friends drank half a bottle of rum and refilled it
         with a bodily fluid of similar color.
Reply:   Your friend should see a doctor and drink more water.
                                           --seen on Reddit, 27 Aug 2023