On 8/30/23 10:48, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 10:15:50AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 8/29/23 15:59, Greg Wooledge wrote:
find . -name '*.snd' -print
many definitions, tell me about it. I made a command line to aplay anything
it found, but so far only ogg's and wav's, neither of which aplay can do
anything with except digital noise. Says raw file and does not
adequately/automatically decode it.

aplay should work with .wav files, if they are properly created and
not corrupted.  I think.  (It gets ugly because I think there are
big-endian and little-endian variants, and possibly sampling rate
variants....)

So that is not working. The theory is that whatever format it is, is very
well supported by the player it is using.

Which leads to the obvious question -- what player(s) are you using?
You seem to have a desktop environment installed on this machine, right?
Which desktop is it?  What audio players does this come with?  Which
ones do you normally use?

Is there another "player" that
might understand and properly decode whatever its fed?

Are you saying you've never actually PLAYED AN AUDIO FILE before?  At all?
I know you're old enough to have lived through the Napster period of
history.  You never once downloaded and played an MP3 file?

If you're looking to add a player to your repertoire, and if you don't
like whatever your desktop environment supplied, I would suggest starting
with mpv.

And is installed by a
default bookworm install?

There is no such animal.  There's just whatever package suites you chose
during installation, and whatever you added afterward.

Or, ugly thought, I need to tell aplay what it is.

aplay is fairly low level.  It doesn't handle decoding things like FLAC,
Ogg Vorbis, MP3, etc.  It only plays straight digital audio files, like
.wav.

If 'aplay myfile.wav' doesn't work, just forget it, and move on to a
more full-featured audio player.

And I've not paid much attention to the audio since the original vorbis/ogg
development so I know zip about the current details.

My knowledge pretty much ends with "mpv has replaced mplayer as the
go-to choice for command line users".  This is because mpv hasn't ever
failed me in a way that would require me to learn more things.

That too is helpful, Greg, msg tagged
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)