On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 6:04 PM Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 04:45:11PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> > I'm sure I was too casual in my comments. I want all users, including root,
> > to have the Raku executables in their PATH, nothing else would be changed
> > from current use.
>
> Ah, good old X-Y.
>
> Create symlinks from /usr/local/bin/ to wherever the programs are
> physically installed.  Then don't touch PATH at all.

++

But I would use a shell script and set LD_IBRARY_PATH accordingly.
Maybe something similar to this:

   $ cat /usr/bin/fop
   #!/usr/bin/env bash

   if [[ -z "$JAVA_HOME" ]]; then
      JAVA_HOME=$(readlink -f $(command -v java) | sed "s|/bin/java$||")
      export JAVA_HOME
   fi

   CLASSPATH=/opt/local/bin/fop-2.9:/opt/local/bin/fop-2.9/lib
   export CLASSPATH

   /opt/local/bin/fop-2.9/fop/fop $*

I use the script for DocBook and fop manually installed in /opt/local.
Since fop is Java, the script needs to set CLASSPATH rather than
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Jeff