On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 02:52:37PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 02:46:55PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I don't think there's a need to defend the status quo: the above page
> > may not be fully incorrect, but it is misleading (especially since the
> > `init` is given a monospace font, to suggest it's an actual program name
> > rather than just the name used to refer to the concept of the initial
> > process).
>
> unicorn:~$ ps -fp 1
> UID          PID    PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
> root           1       0  0 Oct07 ?        00:01:58 /sbin/init
>
> unicorn:~$ ls -l /sbin/init
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 20 08:15 /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd*
>
> /sbin/init is what gets executed by the kernel, regardless of what init
> system is installed.

Unless you boot (heh) with an "init=" parameter. AFAIK, this link is
provided by the systemd-sysv [0] compatibility package, which, as it
seems, you don't /have/ to install.

This is what the systemd [1] package page says:

  "Installing the systemd package will not switch your init
   system unless you boot with init=/lib/systemd/systemd or
   install systemd-sysv in addition."

so strictly speaking, Stefan is still right.

Cheers

[0] https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/systemd-sysv
[1] https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/systemd

--