Pocket wrote:
>    The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) also currently has the
>    following second level domain names reserved which can be used as
>    examples.
>
>         example.com
>         example.net
>         example.org
>
> Which I take it that you can use them for any purpose as long as it is not on
> the internet

No, they are for examples. In documentation. Any system
encountering one of those names in real life can and probably
should assume that it is unconfigured or in a lab where terrible
things could happen without affecting anyone.

> Why would I register a domain name for an internal network?

You shouldn't. home.arpa is already a special-use domain for
that purpose.

If you happen to have a domain name for any other purpose, you
could establish a subdomain for your internal use, just by
configuring it. Or you could use split DNS to show different
views to the inside and outside.

> So I can not use or I am forbidden to use 192.168.1.0/24 network as it is
> reserved?

On the contrary, it is reserved so that you (and everyone else)
can use it for this particular purpose. But it is also your
responsibility to remember not to let that subnet leak outside
of your internal network, and to accept that other people are
using it in a similar manner.

> I am just using what was installed by my scripted debian installation

Who provided the script?

> I could have built my own "router" with my own custom scratch built OS as I
> did starting 35 years ago, but why should I if I can get something off the
> shelf?

You can get a computer pre-configured with Windows or Mac OS off
the shelf. Why did you decide to install Linux?

The answers to the two questions are likely similar, if not
identical.

-dsr-

--
https://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.