On 10/27/23 07:50, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 07:29:20AM -0400, Pocket wrote:
On 10/27/23 07:12, gene heskett wrote:
I tried to change just this machine to see how its done, and managed to
get all the right answers, which did not affect my local network since I
generally use the alias name for an ssh or sshfs login, but on a reboot
its all gone.  So how the heck do we do that so it survives a reboot?
*What* is "all gone"?  Show us commands and their output, and then explain
why the output is not what you expected.

/etc/hosts
If you're using short-form hostnames like this:

unicorn:~$ hostname
unicorn

then yeah, that's all you need.  If you're using long-form hostnames
(with dots in them), then you also need to configure /etc/hostname.

I use the short-form hostnames, so mine is simply:

unicorn:~$ cat /etc/hostname
unicorn

Couldn't be simpler, really.

Are you referring to the domain name or FQDN?

--
It's not easy to be me