On 10/27/23 10:11, Pocket wrote:

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 27, 2023, at 10:00 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 09:30:09AM -0400, Pocket wrote:

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 27, 2023, at 9:05 AM, Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 07:59:00AM -0400, Pocket wrote:
On 10/27/23 07:50, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 07:29:20AM -0400, Pocket wrote:
/etc/hosts
If you're using short-form hostnames like this:

unicorn:~$ hostname
unicorn

then yeah, that's all you need.  If you're using long-form hostnames
(with dots in them), then you also need to configure /etc/hostname.

hostnamectl set-hostname is the command to do it - and will survive a reboot.
This is I believe, the first time I've heard of this command, why the big secrecy in all correspondence to to date in this thread.
W/o issueing any "modify it commands:
gene@coyote:/etc$ hostnamectl
   Static hostname: coyote.home.arpa
Transient hostname: coyote
         Icon name: computer-desktop
           Chassis: desktop 🖥
        Machine ID: 7e8cfc91c7f24faa835e71ef5583898c
           Boot ID: 1c90524af6584a36b93398f51e7427fa
  Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
            Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-13-rt-amd64
      Architecture: x86-64
   Hardware Vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Hardware Model: PRIME Z370-A II
  Firmware Version: 0801
gene@coyote:/etc$ hostname
coyote.home.arpa
gene@coyote:/etc$ dnsdomainname
home.arpa
gene@coyote:/etc$

Which is all correct. But dnsdomainname WILL return (none) after the next reboot. Why, what have I not dome correctly?

Andy

 From the man page

    THE FQDN

The FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of the system is the name that the *resolver <https://manpages.org/resolver/3>*(3) returns for the host name, such as, /ursula.example.com/. It is usually the hostname followed by the DNS domain name (the part after the first dot). You can check the FQDN using *hostname --fqdn* or the domain name using *dnsdomainname*.

You cannot change the FQDN with *hostname* or *dnsdomainname*.

The recommended method of setting the FQDN is to make the hostname be an alias for the fully qualified name using //etc/hosts/, DNS, or NIS. For example, if the hostname was "ursula", one might have a line in //etc/hosts/ which reads

    127.0.1.1 ursula.example.com ursula

Technically: The FQDN is the name *getaddrinfo <https://manpages.org/getaddrinfo/3>*(3) returns for the host name returned by*gethostname <https://manpages.org/gethostname/2>*(2). The DNS domain name is the part after the first dot.

Therefore it depends on the configuration of the resolver (usually in //etc/host.conf/) how you can change it. Usually the hosts file is parsed before DNS or NIS, so it is most common to change the FQDN in //etc/hosts/.

If a machine has multiple network interfaces/addresses or is used in a mobile environment, then it may either have multiple FQDNs/domain names or none at all. Therefore avoid using*hostname --fqdn*, *hostname --domain* and *dnsdomainname*. *hostname --ip-address* is subject to the same limitations so it should be avoided as well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis