On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 08:17:20AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>  Stefan Monnier writes:
> > I think this still only covers a small fraction of the problem.  It
> > just lowers the bar of the "technically-inclined" limit.  I think many
> > more people just want to have someone they can call on the phone to
> > help them get through their yearly technical problem.

Very true. Still a long way to go ;-)

> I think that to most people their "devices" (cellphone, desktop,
> whatever) are appliances. They have no more interest in learning about
> the internals of those than in the internals of their washing machines.

In one of our local mailing list someone posted a request for help
to exchange his iPhone's and iPad's batteries. He has an appointment
in the local hacker space :-)

Little by little...

But yes, in a way convenience can drown out freedom. See that other
thread in this mailing list about mail providers. All people flocking
to gmail although it's clear that Google would like to kill mail
as we know it.

Cheers