Dear Debian,

Minor update, it works!!!

I know I did one thing differently, which possibly influenced things, I
don't know what you guys and the team did.

First, check that the 2 remaining lines in sources.list ended with
non-free-firmware, as in ~
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free-firmware

~ when I ran the dist-upgrade command, I got a couple of places where it
said something like 'Errors were encountered by dpkg in dealing with ~

linux-image-6.5.0-4-amd64 ~and~ linux-image-amd64

~ so, before rebooting, I went
sudo apt install  linux-image-6.5.0-4-amd64  linux-image-amd64
~ predictably, it said something along the lines of "Those are already the
newest version. What's your problem?"

I also ran sudo apt autoremove, which reclaimed a surprising amount of disk
space... well over 200MB.
Then I rebooted and now it works. Yipee!!

I know something changed, because the previous dist-upgrade went chasing
1100 files. This attempt went after 1098. Two less files. Ergo, something
changed ~ in addition to the non-free-*firmware*.
Thank you Debian, congratulations on your excellent work.

I remain yours gratefully,

Mike