Dear Debian,
Thanks for your patience.
I just went back to square one, deleted the netinstall ISO, deleted the 3
VMs I had, made a new one. I downloaded a fresh netinstall, made a new
VirtBox, and installed. One thing I did different, I checked the Mate
desktop box, but I didn't un-check the gnome box. I chose to use the
lightdm, but other than that, I have both gnome and Mate.
>From that point on, I did the edit to sources.list, dist upgrade, and that
worked without any evident problem.
Next, I started firefox and went to VBox, downloaded the latest version of
the Guest Additions. (Which is 458 as I write this.)
Did this ~
Install Virtualbox Guest Additions on Debian
Log into Debian (Guest OS) as root and update your software.
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Install required packages for building kernel modules.
apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
Prepare your system for building kernel module
m-a prepare
=============
~ and reboot.

===========
mike@debian
-----------
OS: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid x86_64
Host: VirtualBox 1.2
 Kernel: 6.5.0-4-amd64
 Uptime: 1 min
 Packages: 1823 (dpkg)
Shell: bash 5.2.21
 Resolution: 1920x951
DE: MATE 1.26.1
 WM: Metacity (Marco)
 Theme: Menta [GTK2/3]
 Icons: menta [GTK2/3]
 Terminal: mate-terminal
 Terminal Font: Monospace 15
 CPU: Intel i7-6700 (4) @ 3.408GHz
 GPU: 00:02.0 VMware SVGA II Adapter
 Memory: 693MiB / 7938MiB
After a week of struggle, we appear to be back exactly where Debian sid
should be, with the possible exception of the gnome desktop. Whether that
has any bearing on the matter or not, I don't know, but it did strike me
during the install, that perhaps I should leave it in, because gnome3 is
the default desktop, so the Debs would be developing for compatibility with
that first ~ Remove it, and that might break things ....

I remain gratefully yours,

Mike