Jeffrey Walton (12023-12-22):
> I've found lack of per-thread timezones and libc's inability to
> convert time between timezones a bigger problem than other issues,
> like explicitly setting a timezone for a process.

Unix API makes an habit of this kind of thing. Often, it is because the
feature was not designed from the start, and then it was shoehorned into
existing APIs with a global state, changing their behavior in a subtle
and dangerous manner.

Locales are one of the worst offenders. They are the reason you could
get, around the turn of the century, the interactive interpreter for the
OCaml language accept “let pi = 3.14;;” and output
“val pi : float = 3.”.

Yet, (some) localized functions now exist with a _l variant taking a
locale_t argument, but no such thing exists for timezone.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George