On 1/5/24 23:29, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 09:01:29PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
tzdata (2023d-1) unstable; urgency=medium

     From 2023c-8 on the tzdata package ships only timezones that follow the
     current rules of geographical region (continent or ocean) and city name.
     All legacy timezone symlinks (old or merged timezones mentioned in the
     upstream backward file) were moved to tzdata-legacy. This includes the
     US/* timezones.

Wow.  I am not a fan of that change.  It's good to have advance warning
that it's coming, though.

What's wrong with NTP, too simple?

NTP and tzdata have nothing to do with each other.  NTP keeps your system
clock in sync with sources across a network.  tzdata allows conversion
of the system clock into local time representation strings.

This separation of function may need to be repeated several times, Greg.

I do not live in one of those special locations so I assume it won't affect me, but there is a small percentage here and in many other country's that live in locations that don't follow DST for some reason. Those that are affected, could numerically generate considerable traffic here.

The maintainer of tzdata is not a job with thank you's but it should be.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis