On 06/01/2024 12:18, gene heskett wrote:
On 1/5/24 23:29, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 09:01:29PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
tzdata (2023d-1) unstable; urgency=medium

     upstream backward file) were moved to tzdata-legacy. This includes the

What's wrong with NTP, too simple?

NTP and tzdata have nothing to do with each other.

I see no relation to NTP as well. Somebody decided that /usr/share/zoneinfo is full of garbage and needs clean up:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2023-January/042405.html

Some people prefer to not have tzdata at all:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AllowRemovalOfTzdata

I do not live in one of those special locations so I assume it won't affect me, but there is a small percentage here and in many other country's that live in locations that don't follow DST for some reason.

DST is unrelated as well.

The change affects those who rely on POSIX-like EST5EDT timezones or on obsolete ones like Europe/Kyiv (recently renamed from Europe/Kiev). Those who provides various calendar services have significant probability to face user issues.

Doesn't this change affect trixie while bookworm will stick to current package style?