Haines Brown (12024-01-08):
> and that seems to  have fixed the buffer problem.

Nice.

> The scripts folder is in my path. I holds many commands I regularly
> use.
>
> Turns out that the "play" command was earlier taken by another
> application. So I changed the command from play to Play, and now it
> works without the cache problem. The Play command is:

I personally choose to have both a scripts directory not in my $PATH,
where I call the commands with explicit path, and a ~/bin directory at
the beginning of my path.

>       mplayer /dev/sr0 cdda://
>
> The option -cdrom-device is default and so is optional. Mplayer works
> fine without it.

The option “-cdrom-device” cannot be the default because it is not
self-contained. It is possible “-cdrom-device /dev/sr0” is the default
on your system. But if you give the argument to the option without the
option, then I think that if you read mplayer's output more carefull you
will find it tried to play it as a file, failed and skipped it.

> where can find an inexpensive drive to hold about 1000 cds and find

As was pointed out, we are looking at between 60 giga-octets
lossy-but-transparent and 500 giga-octets lossless, so between a
mid-sized USB stick and a small external hard drive.

Whether you consider it inexpensive is your estimate.

> the time do all the converting? ㋡

Eh, this one is obvious: while you listen to them.

You are writing a script to play your CD: just make the script a little
more powerful and it will rip them at the same time.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George