On 1/17/24 19:54, Steve McIntyre wrote:
Andy Smith wrote:

The newer set of people recommending partitions are mostly doing so
because there's been a few incidents of "helpful" PC motherboards
detecting on boot what they think is a corrupt GPT, and replacing it
with a blank one, damaging the RAID. This is a real thing that has
happened to more than one person; it even got linked on Hacker News
I believe.

Then there will just be people going by taste.

Personally I still put them directly on drives. If I ever get taken
out by one of those crappy motherboards, I reserve the right to get
a different religion. 😀

I'm clearly a member of a third group of people,,, :-)

Putting partitions on the RAID drives helps *me* identify them.

you aren't alone Steve.
Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis