On 19/01/24 at 20:14, Nicolas George wrote:
Franco Martelli (12024-01-19):
One case against using partitions on mdraid: if your array gets messed
up, you get to recreate those partition tables yourself and that's just
hilarious if you don't have a backup. Happened to a friend of mine,
reason was a UPS brownout.
How can I get a backup of mdadm RAID partition?

You do not need a backup of the RAID partitions, that would be terribly
inefficient. You need a backup of the partition table.

Yes, I agree of course. I was asking this to Anssi because it looks like strange to me to have the backup of the partitions, as he pointed (for my understanding)

Which, if you are organized, you already have in
$notes_dir/$hostname/install.md as something that looks like this:

```
sudo sfdisk /dev/sdX <<EOF
label: gpt
unit: sectors
sector-size: 512
1 : start=        2048, size=      129024, type=U, name="efi"
2 : start=      131072, size=   976640048, type=R, name="raid"
EOF
```

The partitions table of my HDD is part of my backup.

Cheers,

--
Franco Martelli