On 26 Jan 2024 16:11 +0100, from h...@adminart.net (hw):
> I rather spend the money on new batteries (EUR 40 last time after 5
> years) every couple years [...]
>
> The hardware is usually extremely difficult --- and may be impossible
> --- to replace.

And let's not forget that you can _plan_ to perform the battery
replacement for whenever that is convenient. Which is quite the
contrast to a lightning strike blowing out even _just_ the PSU and it
needing replacement before you can even use the computer again (and
you _hope_ that nothing more took a hit, which it probably did even if
the computer _seems_ to be working fine).

>> I've had no external power outage in the last 5 or 10 years, but a UPS
>> often needs at least one battery replacement during that time.
>
> Outages are (still) rare here, but it suffices to trigger a fuse or
> the main switch when some device shorts out, or someone working on the
> solar power systems some of the neighbours have, causing crazy voltage
> fluctuations, or a lightning strike somewhere in the vinicity or
> whatever reason for an UPS to be required.

It's also worth talking to your local electrician about installing an
incoming-mains overvoltage protection for lightning protection. I
won't quote prices because I had mine installed a good while ago and
also did it together with some other electrical work, but I was
surprised at how low the cost for that was, and I _know_ that it has
saved me on at least one occasion. It won't do power conditioning or
power loss protection of course, but it _does_ greatly increase the
odds that your home wiring survives a lightning-related voltage surge.
(Nothing will realistically protect you against a _direct_ lightning
strike; in that case the very best you can hope for is damage
containment.)

> More importantly, the hassle involved in trying to recover from a
> failed disk is ridiculously enormous without RAID and can get
> expensive when hours of work were lost.  With RAID, you don't even
> notice unless you keep an eye on it, and when a disk has failed, you
> simply order a replacement and plug it in.

Indeed; the point of RAID is uptime.

> You can always tell with a good hardware RAID because it
> will indicate on the trays which disk has failed and the controller
> tells you.

Or you can label the physical disks. Whenever I replace a disk, I
print a label with the WWN of the new disk and place it so that it is
readable without removing any disks or cabling; then I use the WWN to
identify the disk in software; in both cases because the WWN is a
stable identifier that I can fully expect will never change throughout
the disk's lifetime. So when the system tells me that
wwn-0x123456789abcdef0 is having issues, I can quickly and accurately
identify the exact physical device that needs replacement once I have
a replacement on hand. And if the kernel logs are telling me that,
say, sdg is having issues, I can map that back to whatever WWN happens
to map to that identifier at that particular time. (In practice, I'm
more likely to get useful error details through ZFS status monitoring
tools, where I already use the WWN, so I likely won't need to go that
somewhat circuitous route.)

> Yes, my setup is far from ideal when it comes to backups in that I
> should make backups more frequently.  That doesn't mean I shouldn't
> have good backups and that UPSs and RAID were not required.

Or that, again, they solve different problems.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”