On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 18:51 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> hw composed on 2024-02-09 22:45 (UTC+0100):
> [...]
> > Hm, Powercom doesn't seem to exist here, but Eaton seems to have good
> > prices.  How's the battery availability with Eaton?
>
> <https://batterysharks.com/csb-battery-hr1234w-battery-replacement-12v-9ah-version.html>
> has the very common physical attributes used by all my Eaton, Tripp-Lite and
> Powercom UPSes.

Well, having batteries shipped over from the US would probably cost
more than a new UPS.  And the question is not so much if I can get the
batteries now but more if I can get them at reasonable prices in 20 or
30 years or later and every time in between when I need them.

That rules out Liebert, Cyperpower and Triplite due to uncertain or no
availability.  That only leaves Eaton.

Does Eaton provide their own Linux software and/or do they accept
monitoring results from other software like nut (assuming that apcupsd
won't work for Eaton UPSs)?

When I buy an UPS used so that there aren't any relevant warranty
issues APC might produce, am I not still better off buying APC because
the batteries are likely to be available?  Also, Eaton is very hard to
come by used while APC is very common here.

> Here in FL, replacement battery life averages under 30 months, no
> matter the battery brand. OEM batteries have averaged more like 54.

How is that?  Do you have frequent power outages that stress the
batteries so much?

54 months?  I'm getting confused now because I'm sure I replaced the
batteries in my 10-year-old APC UPS three times now, two times with
OEM batteries and last time --- recently --- with aftermarket ones
because they doubled the price for the OEM ones.  That would mean 5
years for the OEM batteries each --- and not 3 years like I said
before.

So 54 months could be right.  Now I'm curious to see how long the
aftermarket ones will last.