On 2/10/24 13:40, Joe wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:45:29 +0100
hw <h...@adminart.net> wrote:

The cheap APC models seem to produce a lot more heat, and their
batteries don't seem to last as long.  They work and they're not
really a good deal.  I don't have test equipment for UPCs, but you can
feel how warm they get and see how cheaply they're built without
special equipment.

It's quite surprising how many complaints about swollen UPS batteries
there are around the Net. Given the fairly light duties of the batteries
almost all of the time, this is pretty well certain to be caused by
overheating due to incompetent charging. Batteries, particularly
lead-acid types, are not exactly new technology, and the correct
charging of them is well understood.

You have an excellent view of the problem. One of the problems with PBa batteries is the each one of the gender has a mind of its own, and If you don't fiddle with the charging circuit, you will never find the optimum voltage to charge that battery to. One of the things you never ever want to is look into a liquid acid battery and see it bubbling. That indicates and overcharge, the bubbling is the disassociated hydrogen and oxygen of the water component of the acid, which makes the water go away, leaving eve stronger acid.. Two instances I can regale you with.

1. shortly after I became the resident engineer at KXNE in NE Nebraska in '69, the two big truck batteries that started the 150 kw Cummins standby power failed, basically burned up from over charge. Replacing the batteries, they boiled like crazy. So I turn down the curent from a charger with a higher resistor, because it was banging over 2 amps into the 2 of then to get the 24 the starter needed but that was holding those up to around 29 volts. The next day I raised the resistor about 4x as they were still boiling. Wash, rinse, repeat till the trickle charge was down to around .005 amps. This was all it took for a trickle charge for a pair of 225ah large car batteries kept clean. 8 years later I'm bored out of my skull and had an offer to be the Chief at a station in NM, offering a 175% raise so I took it. Those batteries were then 8 years old, and still were trying to turn that 335 Cummins wrong side out starting it. When the weekly 15 minute exercise came up you heard the bendix slam into the flywheel, followed milliseconds later by the first bark, and 1 measly second later the lights were back on

2. While in Nebraska, it can get pretty cold, like -35F once in a while. I had put an ambulance alternator in my daily driver, and made a switching regulator for the voltage regulator but in series with the voltage reference zener diode, I added 4 common si rectifier diodes to use their negative temp effects to turn it up or down according to the underhood temps. 15 seconds after a -25F start, it had the battery back up to about 16 volts, but 20 minutes and 20 miles later it was down to abound 12.7 volts, and on a 105F day down to around 12.3 volts. That battery was then about 7 years old, still had its original water in it, spun the engine faster than it idled, when the missus threw a rod. The only thing I didn't get a chance to salvage was that alternator, the missus sold it to a junk yard the next day before I had a chance to pull it off.

Getting to know the battery and how to treat it could bankrupt all the replacement battery makers. The acid SG is important, reject any battery whose label says SG is 1.280. buy the one that says 1.260, It will be a fraction of a volt lower, but treated right will actually live years longer. Modern gel cell's are even more quickly destroyed by over charging.

Your trivia factoid for the day, from somebody who understands the chemistry.
Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis