Hi,

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:06:43PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On 2/14/24 19:48, Andy Smith wrote:
> > But your chosen partition names don't make a lot of sense to me.
> > You've picked names based on the type/manufacturer of device so you
> > may as well have just used the names from /dev/disk/by-id/… which
> > already have that information and are already never going to change.
> > I don't know why you want to complicate matters.
>
> Will the by-id string fit in the space reserved for a label?

I doubt it, but what would be the point of doing that? The device ID
conveys all the same information that you're putting in the
partition name.

> I dare you to find the disk that udev calls sdc in the above wall of text.

$ ls -l /dev/disk/by-id | grep sdb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 17 02:49
ata-SAMSUNG_MZ7KM1T9HAJM-00005_S2HNNAAGA00863-part1 -> ../../sdb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 17 02:49 wwn-0x5002538c00066800-part1 ->
../../sdb1

Thus, partition 1 of sdb1 is on partition 1 of
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_MZ7KM1T9HAJM-00005_S2HNNAAGA00863.
Information already held by the kernel; no need to duplicate it in a
GPT partition name or anywhere else.

There are many other ways to retrieve the same information; that was
the first that sprang to mind but I would not use that in a script
because it's basically parsing ls (a big no-no).

If you'd simply state what you're trying to achieve then 99.9% of
all your posts wouldn't be massive X/Y problems.

> Why can't you understand that I want a unique label for all of this stuff
> that is NOT a wall of HEX numbers no one can remember.  Its not mounted, so
> blkid does NOT see it.

See above. You're welcome.

I note that you still haven't responded with the exact command you
used to set these "labels", so at this point we still do not know
exactly what you mean and I have to proceed assuming you meant GPT
partition name. A simple request that would enable us to help you
better, ignored.

Regards,
Andy