I've been clearing some mail accounts that customers have abandoned, haven't checked their mail for a couple months or longer.  It's not unusual to find 4000 messages or more, 20 MB or more, ALL of it spam.  No one on a dial-up connection is going to wait for all that mail to download, and nobody using WebMail has the patience to wade through all that debris.

My point being that spammers can easily overload a mail server, sap up all the drive space if some kind of spam control isn't in place.  What would be the point?  They're cutting their own throats, so to speak.

Glenn Z.