>My guess is that most spammers make no money (or
>just enough so that they can make some spare change when they can't work
>overtime at McDonalds).  But the suckers are told that they'll make $50K
>("If you don't believe me, look at your inbox -- do you think there would
>be all those spams there if they weren't making money"), and just believe
>it must be true.
>                                             -Scott

While neither of us have much proof either way, I would have to disagree.
If it was all just a smokescreen and if a fair percentage of spammers didn't
make at least SOME money, I think the volume of it would be going down
instead of up like it is.

Spam, Negative election campaign ads, junk faxes, etc.:  We can bitch about
them all, the marketing industry can talk bad about them (but behind closed
doors a bunch are sniffing the 'cocaine of the marketing industry'), but
there is a reason they are still in wide use - even though we don't like
them they are pretty effective.  Not every spammer is a millionaire, but
many of them have made enough preying on uninformed consumers to make it
worth the newbie's while to try it.  "Your results may vary" ;-)

Public awareness has probably made it a lot less lucrative than it was at
it's birth, but I would venture to guess that at least a good percentage of
spammers are bringing down some decent cash (cash that WE paid the postage
on...)

- Tony

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by http://www.intouchmi.com]