-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Dan Patnode
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 12:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] An optional web interface for Declude
JunkMail?

Scott,

I've spent thousands of hours (as many of us have) perfecting a
universally applicable configuration (as diverse as my client base
allows).

On the server side, when there's a flaw in the system revealed by an FP,
changing the entire system means all other clients benefit from the
change.  Creating an individual exception (like a whiltelist entry) is a
last resort used only when fixing the system would weaken it to much.
If users are making their own changes and not reporting problems, no one
else is benefiting.

On the client side, every time users get ahold of anti spam systems,
they invariably over use them, marking as spam even a newsletter they no
longer want.  A user customizable system then, would need to be more
focused than domain specific, it would need to be user specific.  In my
store & forward configuration, that would mean tracking which aliases
belong to which user, lest they make a change on account A1 and not have
it affect A2.  My itself, this one issue may take more time than this
solutions aims to solve.

Whatever you do, don't make an admin GUI for Declude.  Nothing ruins an
infinitely customizable (and useful) program faster than a limiting
interface.  Others may be facing a gauntlet of user requests that this
would remedy, but IMHO, technical improvements that give more tools to
stop spam are more useful and should have greater priority.

Dan

On Monday, December 16, 2002 16:49, R. Scott Perry
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>A lot of our customers seem to want a web interface to Declude
>JunkMail,
>mostly so that customers can turn their spam settings on or
>off.
>
>We haven't come up with something in the past, because it is very
>complicated without a hook into web messaging, and it doesn't look like

>Ipswitch is planning to add an interface to web messaging any
>time soon.
>
>However, we are at the point where we are considering a web interface.

>If
>we do it, it would probably need to be done as an addon to Declude
>JunkMail, mainly because the development and support costs would be
fairly
>high.  It would also have some drawbacks, being separate from web
>messaging.  For example, it would require installing a separate
service,
>using a different port than 80 or 8383 for web access (which may cause
>firewall problems), and having users enter their username/password a
second
>time (if they are already using web messaging).
>
>Is this something that is important enough that it would be worthwhile?
>                                              -Scott
>
>---
>[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus
>(http://www.declude.com)]
>
>---
>This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
>unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
>"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
>http://www.mail-archive.com.

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.
Scanned by CompBiz for Viruses http://www.CompBiz.Net.
Save 15 Percent on Virus Software by visiting
http://www.compbiz.net/software_mcafee.cfm for details!