I did actually set up the BADHEADERS filter last night and I just caught a false positive (though a BADHEADER positive).  I don't have the error being written to the E-mail headers, but I looked it up on Scott's tool's page from the code in the log file and got back "This E-mail has a made-up header that does not follow the standard RFC format for an E-mail header."  Any ideas???  Could it have barfed on the ~50 addresses in the To line???

This is valid content and seems to have been sent through HotMail???  It doesn't look strange to me (but what do I know).

Thanks,

Matt

>From <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Fri Aug 29 12:41:55 2003
From: "CBC News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: (removed long list of E-mail addresses)
Subject: Last reminder
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:41:32 +0000

Matthew Bramble wrote:
Could someone help me with a little more detail on this.  I'm wondering specifically about if this affects networks behind Webshield SMTP, or E-mail coming from a network protected by Webshield SMTP...or something else?

The message below seems to be generated by Webshield SMTP in response to an E-mail with a virus in it, and it includes an improperly formatted Date field (Date: Tue Aug 26 16:48:12 2003).  Would this affect anything besides automated notifications originating from Webshield SMTP?

Scott, you also mentioned that you believed it was safe to fail automatically on BADHEADERS because such E-mail will also be rejected by other servers, not just a Declude protected one.  I'm wondering if these other such servers are common, and therefore enough of an issue that non-complient products would be compelled to fix their code.  I would imagine that some of your tests in BADHEADERS are less serious than others, possibly the date for instance, and those might be passed by most mail servers.

I have found in the last 36 hours of monitoring that failing E-mail based on BADHEADERS would clean up about 1/3 of the spam that is getting through, and in that time, I haven't caught a legit E-mail that failed this test, though I haven't set up a catch account for it specifically, but will do momentarily.  I can't remember what exactly it was that made me reduce the score to just 3/10, but I'm sure it was necessary in order to let something through that I believed was important, though this might have been the result of the test catching an automated notification from a firewall.

If others have more examples of BADHEADERS false positives, please send them along, I would appreciate this greatly.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Matt

Marc Catuogno wrote:
Scott-After reading your e-mail recommending that you can hold on bad
headers I tripled the weight.  Although I really don't care much that this
was held right now if  virus did really come through my server I would like
to get this. Any idea why a Webshield Alert would fail BADHEADERS? (if that
is where this is really from...)