-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matthew Bramble
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 9:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Request for additional filtering functionality

Scott,

As I continue to look for new potential in filtering, I have repeatedly come
across some limitations which restrict what can be done effectively,
difficulty in figuring the scoring of some variable filters, and challenges
from the additional processing power required to counterbalance some
filters, so I just wanted to request three different things which appear
like they might be somewhat reasonable extensions to the current
environment.  I'm putting these all together in one message because, at
least from my perspective, they are all related, and I didn't want to bother
you repeatedly with such requests.  Those requests are as follows:

1) Provide the score of a test in the logs, WARN function and %TESTSFAILED%
variable.  This would help with filters that have internal counterbalances
or variable scoring so that an admin could quickly determine how many points
were assessed.  I would imagine that it could be turned on by way of one or
three lines in the Global.cfg, i.e.

    SHOWPOINTS    ON

or

    SHOWLOGPOINTS   ON
    SHOWWARNPOINTS   ON
    SHOWTESTSFAILEDPOINTS   ON

When on, this would add the points scored to each of the types of entries as
follows:

    LOG:   11/13/2003 20:43:02 Q331903a90080bcc8 Msg failed IPLINKED
([Score: 7] Message failed IPLINKED test (189)). Action=WARN.
    WARN:   X-RBL-Warning: IPLINKED: [Score: 7] Message failed IPLINKED
test (226)
    TESTSFAILED:   X-Weight: 16 (REVDNS [0], IPNOTINMX [0], IPLINKED
[7], SPAMCOP [9])

These changes would not only make scoring without custom filters much
easier, it would definitely make more advanced configurations much easier to
score and therefore make the system as a whole easier to administrate.

2) Provide a method of defeating a custom filter (zero points) based on
failing a specially marked test.  Having this capability would along with
the above requested feature would remove the need to write convoluted
systems to counterbalance custom filters with ANTI filters (or whatever you
want to call them).  So instead of having entries for allowed character
strings,  base64 encoding, certificates, etc., listed in both a GIBBERISH
and ANTI-GIBBERISH filter for instance could be instead be listed in just
one file making implementation much easier, more straightforward and saving
on processing power that might be required to parse a fully redundant ANTI
filter.  You might even explore the possibility of using an END function so
that tests listed at the top of a custom filter file meant to defeat the
test will stop the rest of the filter from being processed and scored as 0
in the event that a trigger is matched.  I might suggest a configuration
like the following:

    BODY      END        CONTAINS        base64

I believe that I could probably save between 10% and 30% of my processing
power by having the ability to defeat a custom filter or at least not be
required to use a combination of filters for counterbalancing.  Custom
filters with long lists of combinations are very expensive to process, and I
have a feeling that my current dual 1 GHz server could only handle about
50,000 messages a day under the current configuration from what I am seeing
in task manager (single Declude.exe processes reaching just over 50%).  This
is after I removed many of the extensive body filters that I was using for a
short while.

3) Provide a method of defining a maximum and/or minimum number of points
that a particular custom filter can score.  This would allow for better use
of filters that can produce multiple hits and are scored per hit.  There
have been a few occasions where I have attempted to code a filter where it
increments the score for each hit for a line in a filter, but in order to
protect from some instances of legitimate use of the character strings, it
would be beneficial to limit the scoring to a more conservative range so
that no matter how many hits were produced, a maximum or minimum score
couldn't be exceeded.  An example would be as follows, though I assume that
this might be more appropriately configured in the Global.cfg file:

    MAXPOINTS   3
    SUBJECT      1      CONTAINS      a.a
    SUBJECT      1      CONTAINS      a.b
    SUBJECT      1      CONTAINS      a.c
    SUBJECT      1      CONTAINS      a.d
    SUBJECT      1      CONTAINS      a.e
    SUBJECT      1      CONTAINS      a.f

This change would open up more possibilities as it would limit FP's created
by some methods.

Thanks for the consideration.

http://www.mail-archive.com.