Hmmmmm No sir, I don't like it!

In the end where this is headed is that if you belong to their group
then they will legitimize any messages that you send... then they will
use their combined resources to loby and otherwise "make it a bad thing"
for you to do any kind of filtering to their messages.

The problem I see with this is that the receiver eventually loses
control and power over that decision migrates toward those who have the
money to pay for access. In my view it is another form of the
sender-pays line of thinking - but worse because the "paying" part is
downplayed.

A tip-off is that the counter to this argument is up-front in their
proposal. Specifically that they will create and manage a mechanism that
tracks the end-user's subscrbe/unsubscribe requests... I think this is a
lot like putting the foxes in charge of the hen house.

My $0.02.
_M