I can’t speak as to the internal organization of Junkmail.  It might be very difficult to separate the similar tests from each other.  Perhaps the similar tests could be grouped and the group could be placed in an order with other tests.

As to the tests we would like to see run first, certainly Sniffer!  More than 90% of our deleted messages fail the Sniffer test.  That is very indicative to us and I would like this one run first.  For us, if a message fails sniffer, it only needs to fail one or two other tests to be deleted.  It would be nice if we could perhaps run the internal Junkmail tests next (ie. BadHeaders, NoPostmaster, NoAbuse, Routing, HeloBogus, etc) because these don’t need to make any network calls to accomplish (ie. they only need the message itself).  Many of our deleted messages fail two or three of these and could be deleted immediately without further testing (assuming they failed Sniffer).  Next, run the tests that require only internal machine resources, such as fromfile and pattern matching tests.  Finally, and it sounds like all of the RBL tests are launched simultaneously, burn the bandwidth to test the RBLs, RevDNS, etc., that require network bandwidth.

This progressive approach would allow us to place the tests which we find most useful at the front of the test queue.  And have a weight at which testing is no longer considered useful in determining the fate of a message.

I think this approach could cover a feature request that I have seen here repeatedly:

A way to combine test failures into a single outcome.  For example, a test called DefinitelyDelete defined as failed Sniffer and failed Spamcop and failed Badheaders.

Todd Holt
Xidix Technologies, Inc
Las Vegas, NV  USA
www.xidix.com