From: "Dan Geiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Scaling Up The Declude Weighting System

Hi, Scott,
Thanks for the feedback.  The more I thought about it after sending the
e-mail a few minutes ago the more certain I was that my logic was not.  in
fact not even remotely close to being sound.  It really has to be thought of
as a factor of multiple tests and not just one, so I understand what you are
saying.

But I have to disagree with your terminology.  I wasn't describing a false
positive situation.  I don't think the HELOBOGUS test by itself can have a
false positive.

A message either passes or fails the HELOBOGUS test.  If a message fails the
HELOBOGUS test, meaning the HELO is bogus by Scott's criterion, yet that
message is not a spam message, i.e. it is a legit e-mail, it doesn't mean
that the HELOBOGUS generated a false positive.  The HELO either truly is
BOGUS or NOT BOGUS.  If HELOBOGUS misidentified a message as being BOGUS
that was NOT BOGUS then, yes, I think that would be a false positive.  But
by it's nature one single test cannot create a false positive unless the
program code for the test is written incorrectly.

Just my thoughts.

Dan