"a good admin will allow ICMP traffic through, *unless* they believe it to
be a specific security risk"

Sorry, disagree there.  A *good* admin will recognize that ICMP *IS* a
security risk.  It allows remote computers to build a map of your network
and find out what IP addresses are valid.  While "security through
obscurity" is not enough by itself, blocking ICMP traffic is pretty standard
practice these days.  ICMP is also used for many DOS attacks. Here is a
quote from HACKING EXPOSED (which should be required reading for all network
admins, IMO):

"As discussed throughout this book, we reiterate that ICMP traffic is
dangerous.  While ICMP serves a valuable diagnostic purpose, ICMP is easily
abused and is often the 'bullet' used for bandwidth consumption attacks."

And another:

"Ping sweeps (or ICMP ECHO packets) are only the tip of the iceberg when it
comes to ICMP information about a system.  You can gather all kinds of
valuable information about a system by simply sending an ICMP packet to it."

Now, in my configuration, I am able to block only incoming ICMP packets
while allowing outgoing, so I was able to install without a problem.  Many
admins do not have that option, though.

-Dan Horne